Why Buy Fur
Fur Educational Materials Provided by the
Fur Information Council of America
- Comfort: Fur is soft, sensual, and luxurious. It feels good to wear fur.
- Fashion: Fur is stylish and elegant.
- Warmth: According to a recent poll of fur buyers, warmth is the number one reason to wear fur.
- Supporting Livelihoods, Habitats, and Cultures: When you buy fur, you support entire communities that live on the land and have a direct interest in protecting the wildlife habitat, which supports them. The economic incentive to the hunter and trapper encourages them to actively protect the natural habitats. According the the National Trappers Association, for every tax dollar spent on conservation, sportsmen spend $12.
- Wildlife Conservation: Furs used in trade are abundant. Government controls regulate the season and harvest to ensure that healthy habitats and populations are maintained. The natural survival rates of animals are low, due to "carrying capacity" (sufficient food, water, & shelter). Nature's way of controlling population is often cruel, including slow starvation and diseases. Hunting and trapping in an overpopulated area can decrease the frequency and severity of diseases, such as red mange, distemper, and rabies.
- Environmentally Friendly: Fur is biodegradable and a natural, renewable resource.
- Long-Lasting: Fur is durable. It lasts for many, many years. Fur makes wonderful heirlooms and can be passed down to the next generation.
- Versatile: Fur can be worn with jeans and evening gowns. Now with lighter weight fur, it can be used through three seasons.
- Re-Styleable: Fur can be restyled to reflect the changing fashions.